Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Edmonton

Greetings fellow classmates and Heather, it is time I begin this little blogging excursion with you all.

 Despite the fact I am not an official resident of Edmonton, I have found myself spending more and more time there, instead of in my home hamlet of Sherwood Park. This change was brought about by several factors including my entry into post secondary at the U, my friends and I turning 18 and wanting actual night life instead of going to one of the many sports bars here in the park, and finally my hiring at two Edmonton pools. I learn, work, and play in the city. So much so that only time I'm ever really at my home is when I'm in need of food and/or sleep.

 Despite my increased visitation to the city, my areas of exploration remain fairly limited. I shop and go out to certain pubs on Whyte Ave., go to school by the Garneau district, work down Walterdale Hill at the Kinsmen, occasionally visit certain bars on Jasper, run in the river valley (during the spring and summer of course; Edmonton winters make for a lengthy treadmill season), attend Oilers games at the run down Rexall Place, and work at the YMCA in Castle Downs. The places listed above are my most visited locations, other places I may venture include WEM and South Edmonton Common, but only when I'm really in the mood to shop.

 As a child of the suburbs I am very aware of city limits. There is a subtle change of scenery when I leave Sherwood Park and enter Edmonton. I'm not sure if I can even explain it but there's some sort of shift. Once in Edmonton you see more diversity, people, buildings, etc. There just appears to be more going on than in the quiet burbs. I notice this same shift when I leave St Albert from visiting my boyfriend.

 When I'm downtown I can't help but see untapped potential. There are certain areas that are fun, and beautiful, and actually resemble something you'd expect to see from a capital city, while others are in dire need of change. Unfortunately, I don't think such changes will happen when I'm still around this city to enjoy them. For as much as I love the Park and Edmonton, I know I won't stay here. It will always provide that sense of home for me, but I know that the rest of my life involves bigger places than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment