Saturday, February 12, 2011

Drifting

NYC - Mindrelic I Timelapse from Mindrelic on Vimeo.

So I stumbled upon this video after reading the works for Tuesday and I couldn't help but think of both Debord and his drifting and the various strolls discussed by Rebecca Solnit. Everyday, be it in New York or Edmonton, city streets are host to countless numbers of people, allowing each individual to pursue down their own personal path. Be it the recreational stroll of a San Franciscan or the bold purpose filled strut of a New Yorker, city streets facilitate various stories, sights, sounds, etc. I would definitely considered myself more of a New York styled walker, because when I'm going it's towards a destination, with no time for stops and ganders. I also heavily related to the student discussed in Debord's text who basically only travelled between several major locations, and all other areas of her city were left unexplored. So this week I'm going to go drifting. After I'm done compiling my photos for the mapping assignment, I'm just going to go stroll. I don't know where. I don't know how long I'll be. But I certainly hope to find something interesting. I'll let you know how it goes...

3 comments:

  1. I love the video! Wish I was able to create an equivalent for Edmonton...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been almost a month! Dying to know ... how was the drift?? :-)

    ReplyDelete